I personally think the meaning may differ from person to person but in my opinion…
A guilty pleasure novel is any book which has major flaws in some aspects, doesn’t offer anything new or has some overused cliches or repeated tropes…but is super entertaining to read.
AKA ‘there’s no good reason for me to like this book but I LOVE this book’.
There’s many reasons why –
- The book is comforting to read because it doesn’t have any heavy material or issues.
- The book has characters you can relate to
- The characters are likable enough for you to ignore the rest of the book
- The overused cliches or tropes are just happened to be the ones you LOVE
- The writing style is good enough to make the book seem decent
- you just love the settings (possibly overused) the book is based on
- The book just fits your aesthetic
- The book contains some amount of nostagia whether in it’s plot or characters
- The topics discussed in the book is appealing to the target audience (you)
- The book is perfect for the fans of that genre
- None of the above, maybe the book is just entertaining without any reason
and many more…
Guilty pleasure books may also include a cheap copy of copy of copy of ONE original good book (basically wattpadish). Maybe that’s why many people like it, even as a copy, that book is entertaining.
And then they are those books which doesn’t take itself too seriously and has the self-awareness of being a guilty-pleasure. These are my personal favorites, because chances are the author is gonna be really good at it. The author also doesn’t try to portray it as anything other than a guilty pleasure
Either way, the title of these books is kinda misleading…why ’guilty’ pleasure when we are reading it for our own enjoyment ? (with few exception, some books DESERVE to be a ‘guilty’ pleasure). I think it should be a genre of it’s own, because sometimes you want to read the same thing again for the 10th time and get those feel-good feelings.
The following are some of the books I consider as some really good guilty pleasure –
- The Distance Between us
Rich guy x Poor girl with main conflict being money…same old stuff. The writing makes this such an entertaining read (even though the plot is nothing new)
2. Boyfriend Material
Carefree guy x Uptight guy with Fake dating trope with the plot which is like…other fake dating trope plots. but get this, this one is GAY ! and FUNNY !
3. Boy Meets Boy
This book is what comfort feels like. No plot, little to no conflicts, and enough fluff and sweetness to rot your teeth.
3. The Ugly Stepsister
23914 remake of Cinderella with my favorite cliches and predictable plot ? Sign me up. No kidding though, this is one of my personal favorites.
5. The Best Kind of Magic
This book is not only filled with my favorite cliches but it’s also hilarious. I’m gonna pretend the predictable plot isn’t that predictable.
In Conclusion, Guilty pleasure novels are necessary when you don’t want to take a book seriously yet want something enjoyable. It’s also a proof that a novel doesn’t have to be a masterpiece for you to enjoy it.
What are some of the novels you’ll recommend as ’guilty pleasures’ ?